According to Hindu legend, Sage Mandavya had performed penance in this land. Since then, this place is called as "Mandya".
Mandya is about 90Kms from Bangalore , on Bangalore-Mysore State Highway - 17.Earlier Mandya was part of Mysore District. Mandya district came into existence on 1st July 1939. Water from river Cauvery supplied through KRS dam is used for both domestic & irrigation purpose. Sugarcane & Paddy are grown in abudance & the district has 3 sugar factories. District has one CMC (City Municipal Council, Mandya), three TMCs (Town Municipal Council - Maddur, Malavalli & Srirangapatna), three TPs (Town Panchayat - Nagamangala, Pandavapura, K.R.Pet)
Geographical Distribution - District is covered by four districts of the state, on the north by Tumkur & Hassan, Mysore on the South, Bangalore (Rural) towards East & towards west by Hassan & Mysore. Mandya extends from 76 19' - 76 20' South and 12 13' - 13 4' East & is about 2500 - 3000 ft above the Sea level. More »
This island fortress of Tippu Sultan is situated on the Bangalore-Mysore Highway at about 25Kms
from Mandya. This history-rich town was the capital of the Warrior-Kings Hyder Ali and his son
Tippu Sultan - The Tiger of Mysore .
Sriranganatha Temple : Temple of Lord Vishnu in the sleeping posture on the Great Snake
Anantha, is one of the Largest Shrines in the State. The temple represents a mixture of
Vijayanagara and Hoysala Styles of Architecture.
Daria Daulat Bagh : Built in 1784, this Summer Palace was one of Tipu's favourite retreats. Made
of teak, this Indo-Saracenic structure has ornate and beautiful frescoes. Now, a museum houses some of Tippu's belongings There are mural paintings on the walls of the ground floor depicting Tippu's Military Campaign against the British.
Ganjam: Housing the mortal remains of Tipu Sultan, his father Hyder Ali and his mother, the Ganjam has splendid ebony doors inlaid with ivory. Tippu's favourite Tiger stripes cover the walls.
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, 4 Kms to the South West of Srirangapatna, is home to several exotic species of
birds. Emigrant birds of all types notably pelicans and storks can be found here.
Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary, situated on the banks of the Cauvery River , includes of a group of six islets. The isolated islets and the abundance of aquatic insects during the monsoon make Ranganthittu a favorite abode for birds. Ranganthittu attained the status of a bird sanctuary in 1940, courtesy of the visions of India 's noted ornithologist-Dr. Salim Ali who, during his survey of the birds, advocated for the establishment of such a sanctuary. The sanctuary is now a paradise for wildlife enthusiasts, nature lovers and bird watchers.
Some species of birds that have made Ranganthittu their home are spoonbills, open bill storks, darters, white Ibis, little cormorants, egret, heron, partridge, river tern, stone plougher, snake bird, and other exotic bird species that fly to the sanctuary in large flocks.
The best time to visit this Sanctuary is between June - October.
The Krishna Raja Sagar dam (in Sriranagapatna Taluk) was designed & constructed by renowned architect Sir.M.Vishweshwaraiah in 1932 during the regime of Sri. Krishnaraja Wodeyar - IV. It is built close to confluence of three rivers cauvery, Hemavathi & Lakshmana Teertha. The length of the dam is 2621 meters & height 39 meters. The reservoir itself is spread over an area of 130 Sq. Kms.
The beautiful garden laid out on the side of the dam are decorated by fountains. There is a small lake for boating. The illumination & musical fountains are the special features of the garden.
The river Shimsha , a tributary of the Cauvery, has its fall in Malavalli taluk in Mandya district, located at about 60 Kms from Mandya.The Cauvery at Shivanasamudra falls (in Mandya district) has twin jumps, Gaganachukki and Bharachukki, one km away from each other and their water has been harnessed for production of power from 1901. Falling down from a height of 75 m into a deep gorge,these falls are best during the monsoons.1.5 kms.away is Asia 's first hydro-electric power project set up in 1901.
The eastern falls - Bhara Chukki Two kms from Shivanasamudram, which is popularly called Bluff, through green fields dotted with multitudes of young trees lies the waterfall. From the watchtower, one can view the falls where the river plunges downward in a wonderful cascade, sending up dense clouds of mist, presenting a breathtaking scene. The Falls which plunges to a depth of 300-350 ft. Shivasanamudram falls is the second biggest waterfall in India .
The western falls - Gagana Chukki At Shivasanamudram, the river branches into two, creating the second largest island in its course. There are a group of ancient temples situated in this island. It is believed that very long ago there was a village in this island.
Kokkrebellur, a Small village at about 40 Kms from Mandya. Entire village waits eagerly for the arrival of winged guests every year with whom villagers have developed a relationship of reverence.
During October/November every year, the village turns home to migratory birds. Flocks of painted storks (ibis leucocephalus) and spot billed pelicans (pelecanus philippenis) descend on the hamlet to build their nests and rear their young ones. Large, shady trees of tamarind, peepal and portia bristle with colonies of birds, and they come in droves, especially during February when the population peaks. For the villagers, these winged visitors are welcome guests. So much so, that if they fail to turn up in a year, they believe it bodes ill for the village.
Around 35 kilometres from Mandya city is to be found on a hilly tract comprising some of the oldest rock formations on the earth's crust. Nestling in the heart of these hills lies the temple town of Melkote or Tirunarayanapuram (as it is also called ). The origins of the towns are lost in antiquity, but it rose to cultural and religious importance in the 12th century AD when the great South Indian philosopher and teacher, Sri Ramanujacharya lived in the town for twelve years.Today life in Melkote revolves around the Cheluvanarayanaswamy temple within the township, which enjoyed the patronage of the Mysore Maharajas as well as Tipu Sultan, and the Yoganarasimhaswamy temple on the hill overlooking Melkote. These temples are repositories of Melkote's living tradition as well as storehouses of academic knowledge of our culture.Melkote, a sacred pilgrim centre known for the Vairamudi Festival held during March - April. One of the best - preserved towns, Melkote is unique in that it has retained its traditional character over the centuries.
Melkote in Pandavapura taluk of Mandya district , Karnataka , is one of the sacred places in Karnataka. The place is also known as Thirunarayanapuram. It is built on rocky hills known as Yadavagiri or Yadugiri overlooking the Cauvery valley. It is about 30 miles from Mysore and 97 miles from Bangalore .
Early in twelfth century, the great Srivaishnava saint Sri Ramanujacharya took up his residence and lived here for about 14 years (said so). It thus became a prominent centre of the Srivaishnava sect of Brahmins, who obtained from the Hoysala king Vishnuvardhana, who had become a follower of the Acharya, an assignment of the fertile tracts of land in the neighbourhood, especially of the Ashta Grams, on either bank of the Cauvery
In the 14th century, the place suffered at the hands of Muslim invaders, who wrecked Dwarasamudra and it was at Tondanur(Tonnur) at the southern foot of the hills, that the Hoysala king at first retired. It was subsequently restored, in about 1460 , by Thimmanna Dannayaka, a chief of Nagamangala, who was an army commander of the Vijayanagar king Mallikarjuna or Immadi Prudhadeva Raya . The buildings must have been on a grand scale, as can be seen from the remains of the Gopal Raya gate on the South which are of immense proportions. In 1771 , the Marathas encamped to the south of the hill after their victory over Haider Ali at Chinkurli. The Brahmins deserted Melkote which was then plundered.
Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple
The principal temple is a square building of large dimensions but very plain, dedicated to Lord Cheluva-Narayana Swamy or Tirunarayana . The utsavamurthi , which is a metallic image, representing the deity which is called Cheluvapille Raya or Cheluvanarayana Swamy whose original name appears to have been Ramapriya . According to a legend, this metallic image was lost and was recovered by Sri Ramanujacharya. The annual report of the Mysore Archeaelogical Department states on the strength of epigraphic evidence, that the presiding deity of this temple was alerady a well known object of worship before Sri Ramanujacharya worshipped at the shrine in December 1098 CE. and even before he came to the Mysore region and that very probably he used his influence to rebuild or renovate the temple. From the lithic records of the period, existence of Tamil influence and Vaishnava worship in the area are also evident.
The temple is richly endowed having been under the special patronage of the Mysore Rajas, and has a most valuable collection of jewels. As early as 1614, the Mysore king Raja Wodeyar 1578 - 1617 who first acquired Srirangapattna and adopted the Srivaishnava faith, handed over to the temple and the Brahmins at Melkote, the estate granted to him by Vijaynagar king Venkatapati Raya . On one of the pillars of navaranga of the Narayanaswami temple is a bas relief about one and a half feet high, of Raja Wodeyar, standing with folded hands, with the name inscribed on the base. He was said to be a great devotee of the presiding deity and a constant visitor to the temple. A gold crown set with precious jewels was presented by him to the temple. This crown is known as the Raja-mudi after his name. A legend says that on the day of his death, he was observed entering the sanctum and was seen no more afterwards. From the inscriptions on some of the gold jewels and on gold and silver vessels in the temple it is learnt that they were presents from Krishnaraja Wodeyar III and his queens. Krishnaraja Wodeyar III also presented to the temple a crown set with precious jewels. It is known after him as Krishnaraja-mudi . Vairamudi or Vajramukuta , another crown of great value, seems to be older than Raja-mudi and Krishnaraja-mudi and it is not known as to who gave it to the temple.
All the three crowns are kept in the safe custody of the Government and brought to the temple on specific annual occasion for adoring the image of Cheluvanarayana Swamy . The vairamudi festival, which is the chief annual celebration is attended by more than 400,000 people.
Yoga-Narasimha Swamy Temple
On the top of the hill is an impressive temple of Yoga Narasimha . Krishnaraja Wodeyar III presented a gold crown to this temple.
Library & Sanskrit College
The private library of his holiness the Yatirajaswamigalu of Melkote contains a large number of Sanskrit and Tamil works bearing on the Vishishtadwaita school of philosophy, a few works bearing on logic, rheotic, mathematics, astronomy, astrology, ritual, architecture, Panchatantra, Dharmashastras, Grihya and Dharmasutra and a god number of Sanskrit works. There are also few Kannada and Telugu works. There is also a Sanskrit college here named Sri Veda Vedantha Bodhini Sanskrit Mahapathashala which was established as early as in 1854 and which is one of the oldest institutions of its kind in the state. Melkote has contributed many literary figures like Pu Ti Narasimhachar, Tirumalaraya, Chikkupadhyaya and Alasingachar.
Kalyani or Pushkarani
The temple infrasturcture boasts of a large pond called as Kalyani . The beauty of the steps leading to water and the mantapas built all around are such that it has been captured in many Indian films.
Melkote Temple Wildlife Sanctuary
Melkote is also the location of the Melkote Temple Wildlife Sanctuary. This Sanctuary was created on 17th June 1974 mainly to protect the wolf. Other mammals found in this sanctuary are jungle cat, leopard, bonnet macaque, langur and pangolin. It is also an ornithologist's paradise, with numerous species of birds indigenous to the area.
BY RAIL - Mandya is well connected with cities like Bangalore , Mysore , Shimoga, Chennai, Tirupathi, Tanjavore, Tuticorin, Delhi through regular trains.
BY ROAD - There is a good network of roads that connects Mandya to other important cities of the region.
|When to go:-
||KSTDC (bookings and info) Badami House, NR Square, Bangalore Tel: 080-2275869, Fax: 2352626 Email: email@example.com
|Where to stay :-